Contributing to ensuring a Peaceful and Prosperous World
To promote the Aims and Ideals of the United Nations
The United Nations Association of Uganda (UNAU) is a nonprofit, non-Government Organization, duly registered in Uganda. UNAU is affiliated to the World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) – www.wfuna.org . The UN Association of Uganda (UNAU) works to promote the Aims, Objectives, Principles, and Ideals of the United Nations (UN) in Uganda as enshrined in the UN Charter. The United Nations Association of Uganda is part of the Global Peoples Movement for the United Nations; and as a member of WFUNA, it enjoys OBSERVER status at the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Aims and Objectives
- To promote the aims and ideals of the United Nations by way of ensuring an informed public and larger knowledge about the United Nations, it’s meaning and potentialities.
- To work for the widest co-operation between Peoples and Nations of the World, to promote Uganda on the International scene and to work for the implementation of the UN Charter in Uganda.
- To work in co-operation with all national and international groups and organizations to promote and ensure sustainable development, economic, social and cultural justice, for equality between men and women and for a more just world.
- To mobilize all the people of Uganda and other Resources for National Development, Peaceful Resolution of Conflicts, Human Rights Protection and Environmental Conservation.
- To work and strive for a more relevant, equitable and sustainable Education System aimed at attaining the highest levels of self-actualization by the people of Uganda.
- To do all such other things as are incidental or which are conducive to the attainment of the above aims and objectives.
UNAU has three major administrative organs – The General Assembly (GA), The Executive Committee (Excom) or the Board and the Secretariat. The General Assembly is composed of all members of the association who are in good standing. The GA elects the Executive Committee that oversees the work of the association on behalf of the members. The Secretariat is the Implementing organ of the Association. It is headed by the Secretary General and other technical personnel.